Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Top Ten Film Lists


I was on a friend’s blog and he had posted some of his all time favorite films, for that minute. His tastes change depending on mood, time of day, weather… I was going to post some ridiculous comment, but decided to ask myself why do people always ask what is your favorite film/ films? Is there some extrinsic value we place on these opinions, that we can derive if you’re educated or a date rapist? Or maybe we are so pretentious that we think Steven Segal films are less art then an Agnès Varda film. The point is we are, conditioned with these stereo types and they tell us Dogs Playing Poker is low brow and Michelangelo is fine art. I say screw that if Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure is your cup of tea then, “Party on dudes” and “Be excellent to each other”. I shouldn’t be ashamed that Eliminators is in my “top ten of all time”. I have my reasons why it should be there and that is all that matters, but when I tell people about this piece of American Cinema they laugh and ask what the hell that is. Of course, it could be the fact I call it American Cinema.

4 comments:

troy myers said...

i totally agree. top ten lists suck as nobody has a round number favorite of anything. i like a top8 list or a top12, but never 10. seriously though, i would enjoy your top ten list as it would help to inform me as to what kind of shit is this person obsessive about. perhaps the odd juxtaposition of eliminators and good will hunting would allow me to see you as one with unsuspected depth. top tens are our way of giving credit where credit is due in having shaped our lives. right now i know that eliminators influences your assessment of every other post apocalyptic piece, but its placement on a top ten list would affirm that for the world.

Shane M. White said...

Okay dude, I hope you have "Eliminators" on VHS, and if so, have that tape ready for me on Wednesday!!! I'm going to have o borrow this, because if its one of your favorite films, I want to view it.

Zach Proctor said...

Shane I know if you don't watch it with me you will just add it to your que and never see the film.

troy myers said...

you should feel proud...shane never volunteers to watch any of my favorite films.